Saturday, October 13, 2007

Protein is for the birds

So....eating more protein. Is really hard if you're a vegetarian and picky like me. But you know what? I just heard on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me that pickiness is hereditary, so suck that! I blame mom and dad for the fact that I don't like nuts, melons, apples, raw carrots or any of the other millions of foods I don't like. The message here: IT ISN'T MY FAULT!

But anyway, I went to see my sister's acupuncturist for a variety of ailments, mainly this yukky eczema over my eye that has been plaguing (yes! plaguing!) me since last year. Her advice? among other things, eat more protein. And good, complete proteins like nuts (ew, see above), eggs and quinoa. I'm trying hard, but her suggestion to eat things with protein powder hasn't gone well. Because it tastes like ass. The whey vanilla kind is OK if you hide it in, say, pancakes, but I was a little concerned about the cholesterol in it, so I got some veggie protein instead. And it tastes even worse. Even A couldn't eat it, and he'll eat anything.

So the moral is, it's hard. (that's what she said). I'm trying new things, like eating Eggo Whole Wheat waffles with almond butter (complete protein, woo!). We tried smoothies, even bought a blender, but I'm also not a huge fan of plain yogurt either, and it's senseless to try and mask something you don't like (e.g. protein powder) with something else you don't really like (e.g. yogurt). But I'm trying. And, related or not, my eczema is MUCH MUCH better! Even the rash under my arms which randomly appeared has gotten better. So I will continue to press on.

Here's a pretty picture I took last week in our yard.

I'm mostly moved in to my new massage room - yay! I think it's very zen in there and enjoy being there, so that's awesome. Have only done 2 massages there yet, but this week I've got some more scheduled.

I've also been putting more hours in at Children Services helping out with home visits. It's not the funnest job ever -- lots of running around and hanging out in the houses of people who don't really want me there, because I work for Children Services, but the kids I'm working with are so super cute. And it's been eye opening to see what the caseworkers really do and how much they really care about these families. They kind of rock!

That's about it from here. 5 weeks till my birthday yo! I've got plenty of suggestions if you need a gift idea :) . I'm all about skipping gifts on Christmas, but my birthday is all about love, adoration and GIFTS! I have to hint very strongly to A to get him to pay attention ("I like this _______. Are you listening? My birthday is soon, are you listening?") but he usually gets it and comes through with something nice.

Later y'all!

No comments: